A Las Vegas vacation is a terrific idea. With its shows, themed hotels and shopping, this is a destination that is fun for people of all ages. There are often great deals on flights and hotels for Vegas, which is always an important thing to take into consideration when planning a vacation.
Planning a Las Vegas Vacation
The great thing about Vegas is that there are good deals available for travel here at all times of the year. You can get great last minute deals but you can also plan your trip in advance. Some things to know for planning a Vegas vacation include:
- It is worth it to stay at a hotel on the Las Vegas trip. This is where all of the action is and your vacation is a lot smoother if you’re already staying there.
- It’s okay to stay at one of the cheaper hotels available. The Strip hotels are all nice and you can always enjoy the shopping, dining and casino games at hotels that aren’t the one you booked a room at.
- Don’t bother renting a car in Las Vegas. Unless you plan on taking day trips around the city, you are probably going to spend all of your time on the Las Vegas Strip. Skip the car rental and just take a cab from the airport.
- The weather is usually sunny in Las Vegas. Pack a jacket if you’re going in winter. Pack a swimsuit for indoor or outdoor swimming depending on the time of year.
Las Vegas for Adults
Some of the top things that adults choose to do while they are in Las Vegas include:
- Gambling at the casinos. There are casinos inside all of the hotels in Las Vegas. You can play table games or slot machines.
- Nightclubs. Many of the casinos have extravagant nightclubs and bars. Get dressed out and enjoy a few.
- Shopping. There are extensive shopping areas in many of the casinos in Las Vegas. Enjoy! There are also nearby outlet stores if you’re interested.
- Dining. People eat a lot in Vegas. Buffets are a popular choice, of course.
- Concerts and shows. There are many shows here that adults will love. These include burlesque shows, comedy shows, concerts by major artists and celebrity look-a-like shows (especially Elvis, of course).
- Museums and exhibits. This is not a huge part of a Vegas vacation. However, it’s possible to check out a few hot spots such as the Liberace Museum as well as traveling exhibits (such as the Bodies exhibit that was there for some time).
- Honeymoons. It is not uncommon for adults to elope in Vegas. Perhaps a chapel wedding and a honeymoon are on your itinerary?
Las Vegas for Children
The fun in Vegas isn’t just for the adults. Some of the top things that you can do as family include:
- Family-friendly shows include the Cirque du Soleil shows and the acrobatic shows.
- Fremont Street Experience. This section of “old Las Vegas” has a roof over the street and loads of interesting performances to see.
- Rollercoasters and rides. Check out the rollercoaster at New York, New York and the free-fall style coaster at the Stratosphere.
- Arcades. Some of the casinos, such as Circus Circus and Excalibur, have arcades for the kids.
- Take a day trip. You can take a guided day trip to the Grand Canyon or Hoover Dam.
- Take a helicopter ride. What a fun way to see Vegas!
Tips for a Vegas Vacation
Some things for you to know include:
- It is worth it to stop at one of the “half price” ticket booths on the Vegas Strip. You really will save money on your show tickets.
- You can get free cocktails when you’re playing the slot machines. However, you sometimes have to be aggressive in getting the attention of the waitresses if you’re located at the cheaper slots. Tip nicely.
- It may be worth it to pay for “late checkout”. If your plane leaves late and you want to sleep in on your last day then indulge yourself.
- You will probably do a lot of walking on the Vegas Strip. Bring some comfy shoes.
- Taxis are available at taxi stands outside all of the hotels. This is a simple way to get from one end of the strip to another. It’s a smart way to get over to the Fremont Street Experience as well.
- There are free shows periodically at the Bellagio, the Mirage, Circus Circus and MGM Grand. Check at the hotel lobbies for more information. Other hotels may also sometimes have free shows.
Las Vegas is a fun, affordable destination. Budget your money to prevent overspending on shopping and gambling and you can have a great time!