Many people go to the beach to enjoy the water. They want to swim, surf and scuba dive. However, not everyone enjoys going in the water during their beach trips. Some people don’t know how to swim. Others are scared of the water or simply dislike it. And still others may enjoy the water at times but find it too cold or uncomfortable on a particular trip. That’s okay. There are lots of fun things that you can enjoy on the land when you’re visiting the beach.
The top ten land activities for beach vacations are:
- Ride ATVs. Beaches are often covered with san dunes. Those dunes are great for the adventurous activity of riding four wheelers. You can also ride dirt bikes on the beach. Note that not all beaches allow these activities but those that day are lots of fun. You’ll never forget a beach vacation spent riding ATVs near the waves.
- Sandboarding. You don’t have to have an ATV or dirt bike to enjoy an adventure on the sand dunes of a beach. You can use a sandboard instead. This is similar to a snowboard but is, obviously, intended for use on sand dunes. If you’ve never tried this sport, consider it for your next beach vacation.
- Horseback Riding. Another adventurous activity to enjoy on the beach is a horseback ride. If you’re traveling to the beach but know that you don’t love the water then plan this type of activity to make your trip memorable. It’s fun for kids but can also be romantic for adults. Horseback rides may take place along the side or even in the shallow part of the water. Go at sunrise or sunset for an experience that’s really special.
- Build Sandcastles. This is an activity that anyone can do. Even the youngest of children and the eldest of beach visitors can sit down on the sand and build themselves a sandcastle. However, others can get truly detailed and spend a lot of time making an elaborate and beautiful sandcastle sculpture. Either way it’s fun!
- Beach Volleyball. One of the leading all-ages activities that people enjoy on the beach is a good old-fashioned game of volleyball. Many beaches that tourists visit have their own volleyball nets already set up for use. All that you need is the ball and some people to play with. If you’re low on people, that’s okay; there are almost always enough people around a beach for a pickup game!
- Frisbee. One of the simplest toys that you can take with you to the beach is a Frisbee and yet it’s also one of the most fun toys to have with you on a beach vacation. Play with your dog, your kids, your friends or your spouse. This is affordable and can be done on any beach.
- Fly Kites. One of the most disappointing things that can happen on a beach vacation is for the weather to be cold and rainy during your trip. However you can make the most of it by getting a kite and going out into the wind. This childlike activity is fun for all ages and can brighten up a cloudy spot in a beach vacation.
- Treasure Hunting. There are a lot of cool things that wash up onto the shore of the ocean. Take your shoes off and walk along the edge where the water meets the land. Hunt for shells. Look for seaweed. Check out the bugs and birds that are hanging out near the water. To add to your treasure hunting fun, bring a camera. Photography is another leading beach land activity!
- Hiking. Many bodies of water are surrounded by beautiful hiking trails. Take advantage of that during your trip to the beach. These trails often offer great views of the water below once you start climbing away from the beach.
- Picnicking. Enjoy a wonderful picnic on the beach. Bring a shade umbrella to keep yourself comfortable if it’s a hot and sunny day. Bring a blanket or towels to not only sit on but also to set your food on. Double check if the beach allows alcohol before you bring any with you on your picnic. For a real treat, do a fireside picnic on a beach that allows bonfires.