Do you want to get through airport security quickly and efficiently? The following 20 tips can help you do it:
- Avoid wearing clothing, jewelry and accessories that have metal. You’ll set off the metal detector if you do and it will take longer to get through airport security.
- Pack your pockets into a plastic bag. One of the things that people usually do at the metal detector is to empty out all of their pockets. You can simplify this by placing all of the items that normally go into your pockets into a single plastic bag. This bag is all that you’ll need to remove before you walk through the metal detector.
- Wear comfortable but form-fitting clothing. If you wear loose or baggy clothing then you might be asked to go through additional security. The fewer layers of clothing you are wearing, the simpler the process is going to be.
- Choose shoes that are easy to remove (such as flip flop sandals). You have to take off your shoes when going through security so this speeds things up.
- Pack your carry-on bag so that it is completely uncluttered. You can use dividers and plastic bags to separate items in your carry-on so that they easily go through security.
- Get a TSA approved backpack. If you have one then you don’t need to take your laptop out separately.
- Limit the number of liquids you carry. You are limited to a one-gallon bag of clear containers measuring less than 3.4 ounces in size. Pack an even smaller amount if you can.
- Pack meds properly. Pack your medications in a plastic bag. Include documentation proving that the medication is yours.
- Check the TSA’s prohibited items list before you go. This will tell you if you need to pack certain items into your luggage instead of bringing it in your carryon. Examples of items that can’t go onto the plane are scissors, golf clubs, baseball bats, gun powder, hammers and brass knuckles.
10. Remove your coat as you approach the security line. It has to go through the X-ray machine.
11. Keep any gifts unwrapped. This will prevent the problem of having to unwrap the gifts for a security check only to re-wrap it again later.
12. Make sure that all batteries are charged. In some rare instances you may be asked to prove that cell phones and laptops are working. Make sure their batteries are charged so that you don’t have any issues.
13. Have your boarding pass and picture ID in hand. Don’t put this away until you have already gone through security.
14. Let airport security know if you are running late. One of the top travel hacks for people who are running late is to let someone at the airport know about the situation. They can help get you through security more efficiently.
15. Remove pets from carrying cases. If you are traveling with a pet then it needs to be removed from the carrying case as your turn to proceed approaches. Put the case through the X-ray screening machine. Hold the pet in your arms as you walk through the metal detector.
16. Remove babies from strollers. As with pets, children’s strollers and carriers must go through the X-ray machine. The baby can be held by the parent as he or she walks through the metal detector.
17. Keep your stress levels low. Arrive at the airport early. Travel during off-peak times. Eat before you go to the airport. These things reduce your stress levels so that getting through airport security won’t seem like such a big deal.
18. Be friendly to the staff. They are going to help you get through security more easily if you are patient and kind with them as they do their jobs.
19. Pay attention to what is going on. It’s stunning how many people ignore the directions of the security agents or don’t realize that their turn in line has arrived. Stay alert to move quickly through airline security.
20. Stick to yourself. Although you may want to pass the time by chatting up the stranger next to you, it’s best to avoid doing this. You never know what the other person is carrying on them. You want to avoid delays caused by “guilt by association” if the person near you has security issues.