One of the best things that a traveler can do is to create a long-term travel goal. For example, some people want to visit all of the states in the United States. Other people want to visit every country in South America. One neat travel goal that you might consider adopting is to visit each of the 100 richest countries in the world. Some of these are more expensive to visit than others. Some of them are safer to travel to than others. However, each of them offers very cool travel experiences to those people who visit them.
Here’s the list that you should follow if you want to visit the world’s richest countries:
1. Luxembourg. The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (known more commonly as just Luxembourg) is a small landlocked country bordered by France, Germany and Belgium. Visitors here can see fairy tale castles, enjoy local vineyards and dine on French and German cuisine.
2. Qatar. This oil-rich destination north of Saudi Arabia is popular with travelers interested in enjoying water sports in the Persian Gulf. Travelers may also ride jeeps around the sand dunes, visit the Aladdin’s Kingdom theme park and enjoy a retreat at nearby Palm Tree Island. Check safety warnings for this rich destination.
3. UAE. This rich Persian Gulf destination has become a playground destination for travelers interested in visiting the Middle East. With lavish hotels, beautiful beaches, huge sand dunes, indoor ski slopes and lots of shopping visitors here are never bored.
4. Norway. This northernmost Scandinavian country is a highly scenic place with an interesting Viking history. Visitors enjoy a lot of outdoor activities here ranging from hiking and biking to water rafting and skiing.
5. Singapore. This Southeast Asian country offers a blend of several different cultures including Chinese, Indian and Malay. It is an island country with a tropical climate but is a very dense urban area at the same time providing a lot of activities for visitors.
6. Brunei. This is another small country in Southeast Asia that many people visit while on a trip to nearby Malaysia. Popular things to do here include eco-tours, outdoor activities in Belalong National Park and trips to the Jerudong theme park.
7. USA. The United States is one of the richest countries in the world. It’s also a huge country with many, many different things to see. That’s why it might be good to make it a goal to see all fifty states in addition to the world’s 100 richest countries!
8. Kuwait. This country just south of Iraq is one of the Middle East’s oil rich desert countries. Visitor attractions include the Kazmah desert cliffs, the port of Failaka Island and numerous urban attractions in Kuwait City. Check this area’s travel warnings before visiting here.
9. Switzerland. The number one reason to visit this Central European country is to hit the famous ski slopes here. Other tourist attractions include glaciers, lakes, castles and vineyards.
10. Hong Kong. Although not technically a country, this “special administrative region” in China is a huge rich place with a lot of great attractions. Museums, temples, local islands, the Hong Kong Disneyland theme park and Ngong Ping 360 Buddhist theme park are just a few of the things to enjoy in this destination.
11. Netherlands. The Kingdom of Netherlands, usually called Netherlands and sometimes called Holland, is located next to Germany and Belgium. The top place to visit is its capital of Amsterdam famous for its red light district, its historic monuments and its great shopping opportunities.
12. Ireland. This Northwest European country is absolutely beautiful and so a must-see for world travelers. See castles and cliffs, go to festivals and enjoy some very unique cuisine while you are here.
13. Australia. This great country (that is also its own continent) is a favorite destination for travelers. The Great Barrier Reef and he Sydney Opera House are leading attractions but of course there are many different urban and rural things to enjoy in this destination.
14. Austria. This central European country is located next to Switzerland and is another popular spot for ski travelers. Visit a music festival in Salzburg, go hiking in the mountains and check out the Museum of the Future in Linz.
15. Canada. Like the United States, Canada is a huge North American country with many different things to see. There are both rural and urban options with a highlight being a trip to Niagara Falls.
16. Iceland. This mountainous island in the North Atlantic Ocean has some of the most stunning scenery you’ll ever see in your lifetime. It’s also a good place to visit if you want to see the Northern Lights.
17. Sweden. This largest Nordic country next to Norway includes islands, urban areas and college towns. Visit in the summer to enjoy hiking, canoeing and berry picking. Visit in the winter for skiing and other winter sports.
18. Denmark. Denmark in Scandinavia is a green country so it appeals to eco-minded travelers. It also happens to be the home of the LEGO toy so it’s a great place to shop for kids while traveling. Explore the area’s Viking heritage, go to one of the many annual music festivals and be sure to check out the beaches of this island nation.
19. UK. The United Kingdom refers primarily to the largest island of Great Britain (which includes Scotland, England and Wales). The most popular UK hot spot is, of course, London but it’s a big area with a lot of different things for travelers to see.
20. Germany. This is the largest country in Central Europe and so it has a lot of different things for visitors to see. From forests and mountains to nightclubs and sports stadiums, there won’t be a dull moment on this trip.
21. Belgium. This country next to Germany is appealing in part because of it temperate climate. Visit the capital of Brussels especially its historic city center. Festivals and carnivals are also popular with Belgium visitors.
22. France. France is one of the most romantic countries in the world. Of course, you should not miss Paris but also check out the South of France and other regions of this beautiful country.
23. Finland. The most popular cultural thing to do in this Northern European country is to enjoy a sauna. Other things to do here include summer swimming, winter skiing and other outdoor adventures in the country’s numerous national parks.
24. Bahrain. The Kingdom of Bahrain is located between Qatar and Saudi Arabia in the Persian Gulf. Visit the capital of Manama or check out the birdwatcher paradise of the Hawar Islands.
25. Japan. This unique high-tech country offers visitors a chance to see both modern cities like Tokyo and historic landmarks. Make sure to visit both the old and the new when visiting Japan.
26. Spain. This popular European country is not to be missed in your travels. Go to the romantic city of Granada, spend time in urban Barcelona, visit the beautiful island of Majorca.
27. Italy. This is another European country that should be on your travel list. Venice, Florence and Rome are just a few of the cities you should see when visiting Italy.
28. Equatorial Guinea. This small West African country is an oil-rich country that was once owned by Spain (and therefore has a bit of a Spanish influence). Ecotourists will be interested in the raiforests of Monte Alen National Park.
29. Taiwan. This island country located between China and Japan is an interesting destination. It is a less common destination than its neighbors but has a lot of interesting things to see including numerous annual cultural festivals, the world’s second tallest skyscraper (located in Taipei) and several national parks with scenery ranging from beaches to mountains.
30. Greece. This southern European country has amazing beaches, interesting history including that related to Greek mythology and cool city squares that are fun for people watching.
31. New Zealand. This country next to Australia is one of the most beautiful spots in the world. If you’re seeking a relaxing scenic vacation in one of the world’s richest countries then look no further.
32. Cyprus. This island in the Mediterranean Sea is an interesting place due in part to the fact that it’s a European country geographically located in Asia. It has a great temperate climate, neat archaeological sites, several popular party spots and interesting historic villages.
33. Israel. This Middle Eastern country is a popular destination for people who are interested in religious travel. It is rich with history and provides a great worldly education for visitors.
34. South Korea. This East Asian country has hot springs, ski slopes, busy urban centers, small folk villages and a massive national park (Seoraksan National Park) that spreads over four different cities.
35. Slovenia. This small central European country is located next to Italy and Austria. It is interesting for its varied terrain, which includes beaches and mountains, and it’s a good travel destination because of its great Mediterranean climate.
36. Bahamas. This chain of tropical islands in the Caribbean Sea is one of the most popular beach destinations in the world. It also happens to be one of the world’s richest countries.
37. Trinidad and Tobago. These two islands make up one country that is also located in the Caribbean Sea. People go here to enjoy a slightly less touristy beach option in this area.
38. Czech Republic. This central European country near Germany and Austria is a culturally and historically rich area. Visit the capital city of Prague, check out the museums in Brno and explore the area’s mining history in Ostrava.
39. Oman. This oil-rich Middle Eastern country is located next to the UAE. Visit Masirah Island, a desert island known for its turtles. Check out the massive Wahiba Sands dunes. Visit the Hajar Mountains. And see the history in Muscat, Oman’s capital.
40. Portugal. This Southern European country next to Spain was actually one of the poorest countries in Western Europe at one time but has now become one of the richest countries in the world. It is one of the area’s warmest countries so visit here if you like hot weather.
41. Malta. This set of inhabited and uninhabited islands in the Mediterranean Sea has beaches, temples and very amazing coastal caves. It has an Old World feel that is very fascinating for visitors.
42. Saudi Arabia. This Middle Eastern country next to Kuwait is an appealing place because it contains the holy Muslim cities of Mecca and Medina. The long history of this area provides a lot of interesting things to see. However, travelers should check travel warnings before planning a trip to this rich country.
43. Slovakia. This central European country next to Austria and the Czech Republic is a rugged and mountainous destination. It has nine national parks so it’s popular with outdoor adventurers. Other appealing attractions include medieval towns and busy urban capital called Bratislava.
44. Seychelles. This country is made up of more than one hundred islands in the Indian Ocean off of the coast of East Africa. People go here to enjoy a relaxing beach vacation. Aldabra Atoll, the world’s largest coral atoll, is also located here.
45. Croatia. Croatia is next to Italy in the southeast of Europe. It has geographically diverse terrain including seashores and mountains. Visit the historic coastal city of Dubrovnik and the capital city of Zagreb. Also visit Krka and Kornati National Parks.
46. Hungary. This central European country is a great place to go if you want to visit all of Europe since it’s easy to reach all places from here. It’s also a great place in its own right with small historic villages, a vibrant music scene and the urban city of Budapest.
47. Estonia. This rich country is located in Northern Europe across the sea from Finland. People who go here are often interested in the area’s Ex-Soviet history. Visit the medieval city center in the capital of Tallinn and check out the famous Kuressaare Castle.
48. Poland. This large Central European country has a long coastline on the Baltic Sea. Its history is strongly linked with World War II so landmarks related to this are popular for visitors. Also visit the castle ruins in the unspoiled countryside, the urban area of the capital of Warsaw and old island city of Wroclaw.
49. Russia. This Eastern European country is the largest country in the world. It has nine time zones! Of course, that means that there is a lot for visitors to see here so plan an extensive trip when you get ready to check this spot off of your travel list.
50. Antigua and Barbuda. This is a two-island country in the Caribbean Sea. People go here specifically because they are interested in a wonderful beach vacation.
51. Barbados. This is another Caribbean island country that provides a great beach vacation. Check out limestone caves, botanical gardens, and a wildlife reserve on this island.
52. Lithuania. This European country is located next to Russia and Poland. It’s a lowland country with lots of lakes and expansive plains. Visit the medieval churches in the capital of Vilnius, the summer festivals in Klaipeda, and the water tourism in Aukstaitija National Park.
53. Libya. This North African country is located on the Mediterranean Sea next to Egypt. More than 90% of the country is desert and more than 97% of the population is Sunni Muslim. Visit the Roman ruins of Leptis Manga, the prehistoric rock paintings of Ghat and the capital of Tripoli. Check travel warnings before visiting here.
54. Latvia. This is a European country on the Baltic Sea sandwiched between Estonia and Lithuania. Visit the capital of Riga, the former secret military town of Liepaja and the medieval castle ruins of Cesis.
55. Argentina. This expansive country is the richest country in South America. Visit the cosmopolitan city of Buenos Aires as well as the many rural areas throughout the country. Take a trip up to Iguazu Falls, one of the biggest waterfalls in the world.
56. Gabon. This small West African country is located on the Equator. A major appeal here is the rainforests of the country. The biggest attractions are the numerous national parks in the country.
57. Saint Kitts and Nevis. This is yet another pair of tropical islands located in the Caribbean. Are you starting to get the sense that the popular tourism of this region has made the entire area rich?
58. Chile. This long, skinny South American country is located on the Pacific Ocean next to Argentina. Its climate and landscape vary greatly from north to south so it’s worth it to explore the entire range of the country as a visitor here.
59. Mexico. Many people are surprised to find out that Mexico is one of the richest countries in the world but it is. The massive urban capital of Mexico City is a very interesting thing to see as are the resort beach regions such as Cabo San Lucas. Check travel warnings before visiting here.
60. Lebanon. The Republic of Lebanon is a small country in the Middle East with a long coastline on the Mediterranean Sea. It has a rich history; some of the cities here are among the oldest continuously populated cities in the world. Popular attractions include synagogues, mosques, bazaars and Roman ruins.
61. Romania. This European country is located in the northern part of the southeastern part of Europe (the north side of the Balkans). It has beautiful scenery including the Carpathian mountains, the Black Sea and great wine country.
62. Botswana. This rich country is located in South Africa. People typically go here to see wildlife at hot spots like the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, Chobe National Park and Moremi National Park.
63. Malaysia. This Southeast Asian country is located next to Thailand and Singapore. It has an interesting combination of rural and high-tech offerings in an area with a tropical climate. Visit the capital of Kuala Lumpur, the tea plantations of Cameraon Highlands and the historical city of Malacca.
64. Turkey. This country is located between West Asia and Southeast Europe giving it an interesting mixture of Western and Eastern influences. It is surrounded by seas; the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea and the Aegean Sea. Visit the capital of Ankara, the beach resorts of Antalya and the largest city of Istanbul.
65. Uruguay. This small country is located between Argentina and Brazil in South America. It is popular for birdwatching, beaches, and the historic colonial town of Colonia. Also be sure to visit the capital of Montevideo.
66. Montenegro. This country is located in the Balkans on the Adriatic Sea. In the past few years it has become a popular tourist destination. It has beaches (including beach resorts), small villages, and national parks. Check out the interesting new architecture popping up in the capital city of Podgorica.
67. Panama. This country sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea is the richest country in Central America. It is highly popular with tourists because of its combination of urban fun in Panama City and relaxing beach life on the coasts.
68. Bulgaria. This mountainous country in the Balkans is located on the west side of the Black Sea and next to Greece and Turkey. The capital city of Sofia has parks, a town center, nightclubs and numerous historical monuments. Also bisit the beach resort of Varna and the university town of Veliko Tarnovo.
69. Belarus. This Eastern European country is located near Poland and Russia. Visit the capital and largest city of Belarus to see museums, historic churches and ski resorts. Also be sure to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Mir Castle Complex and Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park.
70. Mauritius. This small island country is located in the Indian Ocean southeast of Seychelles. It is a tropical island that people visit for beaech relaxation. Check out the Balaclava Ruins, the Labourdonnais Orchards and the Maheswarnath Hindu temple.
71. Venezuela. This South American country north of Brazil is located on the Caribbean Sea and the North Atlantic Ocean. One great thing to see here is Angel Falls, the world’s highest waterfall. Visit the Andes Mountains for great nature and the capital of Caracas for urban pleasures.
72. Serbia. This Balkan country in Southern Europe is located next to Montenegro and Croatia. It’s a tourist friendly country with winter moutain resorts, summer national parks and year round spa resorts.
73. Iran. This large country next to Iraq is located between the Middle East and Central Asia. Formerly called Persia this country has a lot of rich history to explore. Make sure to check travel warnings before going here.
74. Kazakhstan. This large central Asian country is located between Russia and China. It is the richest country in Central Asia. This is not a huge tourist destination but there are interesting things to see here including the ancient city of Turkestan, the new capital of Astana and the former capital of Almaty.
75. Costa Rica. This Central American country located next to Panama is also sandwiched between the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea. It is a highly popular tourist destination filled with great beach activities (like scuba diving) and numerous opportunities to explore diverse plant life.
76. Republic of Macedonia. This Balkan country north of Greece is a Western country that has remained fairly undiscovered by tourists. This means it has a lot of historic ruins, little villages and undisturbed nature for visitors to see.
77. Grenada. This is an island nation in the Caribbean located northeast of Trinidad and Tobago. It is famous for the many spices that are grown and exported from here.
78. Brazil. This is the largest country in South America and one of the largest in the world. There are many, many things to see here but the most well known attraction is the eco-tourism of the rainforests here.
79. South Africa. This country on the southern tip of African is a vast and diverse country that got rich in large part because a lot of gold is here. Visit the popular winelands of the area, the summer destination of Cape Town and the area’s numerous national parks.
80. Azerbaijan. This former Soviet republic is a country that lies on the Caspian Sea between Russia and Iran. It is famous for having nine of the eleven possible ecological zones, which makes it an interesting destination climate-wise. Visit the capital of Baku, the historic sites in Ganja, the beaches of Xachmaz and the forested Caucasus Mountains.
81. Saint Lucia. This is another of the island countries located in the Caribbean. It is north of Trinidad and Tobago. The highlight here is the Twin Pitons, a set of scenic mountains on the island.
82. Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. This is another island nation located in the Caribbean also located north of Trinidad and Tobago.
83. Colombia. This country south of Panama is the only country in South America that has coastlines on both the Pacific Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. Its beaches and tropical climate are appealing and the capital city of Bogota is a large urban area. However, check travel warnings before visiting here.
84. Dominica. This is another Caribbean island country. It is located approximately halfway between Trinidad and Tobago and Puerto Rico. It is known for its natural parks, great plant life and Boiling Lake, which is a huge thermally active (volcanic) lake.
85. Jamaica. This island country in the Caribbean is one of the most popular destinations in the world. It has a great culture and a relaxed beach life that tourists enjoy.
86. Peru. This South American country is located between Colombia and Chile. Popular attractions include ecological landmarks, the archaeological ruins of pre-Colombian cultures and the colonial architecture of the urban areas.
87. Suriname. This tiny South American country is located north of Brazil. The capital city of Paramaribo has interesting historical colonial buildings. The coast line has great beaches. And the rest of the country has neat little villages including the rice village of Wageningen.
88. Bosnia and Herzegovina. This is a mountainous Balkan country located next to Montenegro. The capital of Sarajevo is a historically rich city. The town of Teslic is a popular spa destination. And the city of Zenica has an old Ottoman quarter that’s worth a visit. Ski resorts are also popular here.
89. Dominican Republic. This is yet another rich Caribbean island country! Visit the beaches and national parks as well as the capital of Santo Domingo.
90. Tunisia. This is a North African country on the Mediterranean Sea just south of Italy. Tourists enjoy the beaches, the laidback capital of Tunis and the Islamic pilgrimage town of Kairouan.
91. Ecuador. This small South American country is located on the Pacific Ocean between Colombia and Peru. Top attractions here include Cotopaxi (the world’s highest active volcano), the Galapagos Islands and the city of Cuenca. The capital city is Quito.
92. Albania. This small country in the Balkans is located next to Greece and Montenegro. It has a coastline and the Adriatic and Ionian Seas. Visit the historic town of Berat, the capital of Tirana, the seaside city of Vlore and cultural hot spot of Korce.
93. Algeria. This North African country is located next to Tunisia on the Mediterranean Sea. It is the second larges country in Africa. Attractions include the ancient city of Hippo Regius, the Roman ruings outside at Timgad and the Sahara’s second largest dune field called the Grand Erg Oriental. Check travel warnings for this destination.
94. Thailand. The Kingdom of Thailand is located in Southeast Asia near Malaysia. It is a popular tourist destination because it offers an affordable opportunity to enjoy gorgeous beaches, great jungles, interesting food and a fascinating culture.
95. Belize. This Central American country just south of Mexico is the only country in central America that doesn’t have a Pacific Coast. It does however have a long Caribbean coast. As a result, deep sea fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving are popular here.
96. Turkmenistan. This Central Asian country is located just north of Iran and Afghanistan. It is one of only two Stalinist countries in the world so travel here isn’t easy and may not be safe. However, there is a multi-billion dollar tourist construction project being worked on in Avaza so a visit may be possible here in the future.
97. Tonga. This is a set of islands located in the South Pacific Ocean. The island of Vava’u (actually a set of fifty small islands) is a popular yachting destination. The largest island, Tongapatu, is surrounded by coral reefs. The highest island, ‘Eua, is also the oldest island.
98. El Salvador. This central American country is known for its stunning scenery including breathtaking mountains and volcanoes. It also has beaches and forests. Visit the old Mayan sites like Tazumal and check out the cosmoplitan capital of San Salvador.
99. Guyana. This small country is located in northeastern South America, north of Brazil and next to Suriname. Visitors usually want to see Kaieteur Falls, one of the tallest waterfalls in the world. Visit the mining town of Linden and the capital of Georgetown as well.100. China. The People’s Republic of China is a huge country in Eastern Asia with the world’s largest population. There are many things to see here including lots of different natural landmarks, historic landmarks and of course The Great Wall of China.